Smile Makeover: Reinvent your Smile
Your smile is the first thing that people notice when they meet you. Some even say new life begins with a confident smile and according to Dr Suess,’ teeth are always in style’. Smile makeovers are increasingly becoming popular, as more people are seeking having the winning smile- that perfect, dream smile that exudes confidence and attractiveness. If you have been wondering what a smile makeover is and how it can benefit you, here are a few things you should know.
What is a smile makeover?
A smile makeover is the process of improving the appearance of the smile through one or more cosmetic dentistry procedures, which may include:
- Porcelain veneers
- Composite bonding
- Tooth implants
- Teeth whitening
- Dental crowns
What is the purpose of a smile makeover?
From its definition, it is obvious that a smile makeover is designed to improve the appearance of your teeth and overall smile but it is not limited to that; it also helps restore proper dental function. It helps improve the appearance of teeth that are:
- Too small
- Too large
How can I choose the best procedure for me or the best treatment combination, if I need more than one?
Our cosmetic dentists will review aspects of your smile that can be improved, which may include the following:
- Tooth colour: Silver or amalgam dental fillings can be replaced with natural, tooth coloured composite restorations, while teeth whitening can improve the colour of stained or dulled teeth. Tooth colour and shading are important considerations for various procedures such as porcelain veneers, crowns, bridges, composite bonding and dental implants.
- Alignment and spacing: Teeth that are crooked, overlapping or have gaps in between them can be straightened and aligned when necessary through orthodontics or Invisalign and improved with veneers.
- Missing teeth: One or more missing teeth negatively affects the appearance of a smile. It will also affect your bite and increase your risk for tooth decay. This makes replacement of the missing tooth or teeth an integral part of oral health and facial aesthetics. Missing teeth can be replaced by dental implants, bridges or partial dentures. Out of these options, dental implants provide the best stability needed.
- Harmony and balance: Uneven, chipped and cracked teeth can be cosmetically bonded for an improved appearance, and a gummy smile can be re-contoured to help improve the overall look of a smile.
One of our top dentists will work with you to develop a treatment plan designed to achieve exactly what you want from your smile makeover. This treatment plan may consist of many cosmetic and functioning restorative procedures (like teeth whitening, composite bonding, veneers, dental crowns, orthodontic or braces and gummy smile reduction).
Is there anything I must do before I begin treatment?
Yes, your oral health has to be examined before treatment. Our dentist will conduct a comprehensive evaluation of your teeth and gums, support structure and so on to determine candidacy for a smile makeover. If your evaluation reveals that you have an oral health problem such as misaligned bite and gum disease, we will have to take care of that for you first before treatment can begin.
How do I maintain my result after my smile makeover treatment?
Maintaining results requires having regular oral hygiene care and may require maintenance over time. For example, teeth whitening must be repeated on occasion in order to maintain brightness. Permanent composite bonding may stain and require enhancement or replacement. Dental crowns typically require replacement after 10 to 15 years. Porcelain veneers may chip or break off and need replacement. Gummy smile improvements may also require enhancement over time.
At Smart Dental Care practices, we have Practice Plans in place that make smile makeovers long lasting and cost effective. They comprise a package that entitles you to either a Dental & Hygiene plan or a Hygiene plan only. Both plans, whichever one you choose, will cater for all the check-ups you need to maintain your smile makeover. You will even get up to a 20% discount (depending on which plan you choose), which will greatly reduce your overall treatment costs (i.e. treatment and check up costs). This way everything you need is readily available and all paid for.
General maintenance guidelines:
You will also be given a general guide on how to modify your oral hygiene habits to help you maintain your new smile for many years to come. For instance:
- Avoid highly abrasive toothpastes and tooth brushing habits that can scratch the surface of restorations, dulling their polish and shine
- Use non-abrasive fluoride toothpastes
- Flossing is very important in removing debris and plaque from the teeth and actually increases the lifespan of restorations and helps prevent tooth decay. This is especially important for people with veneers, since impeccable gum tissue health is important.
- Avoid using mouthwashes containing alcohol, as they have proven to have negative effects on composite fillings. The alcohol content in mouth rinses can degrade the bond between your restorations (crowns and veneers) and your teeth, so use alcohol-free mouthwashes instead.
- Avoid foods high in sugar and limit between-meals snacks to prevent cavities. Limit consumption of coffee, soda, tea etc to keep your smile stain free. Also, do not consume alcoholic beverages excessively, as too much alcohol can ruin your dental work.
- Refrain from biting and/or chewing hard objects such as pens, staples, metal, bottle caps etc.
- If you grind your teeth (bruxism) and were fitted with a night guard to prevent damage to your teeth, wear it.
Can you tell me more about the benefits to expect?
Smile makeover offers many benefits, including:
- Customised treatment plans that are appropriate for each patient’s needs
- Predictable outcomes and restoration of a more beautiful, youthful appearance
- Sedation options are available for anxious patients to help them feel comfortable and relaxed throughout treatment.
There are so many benefits that are associated with having a smile makeover. Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. So…what is it that you like or dislike about your smile or teeth? Remember, we are always here to help you!